How to Setup Wireless Router
Changing from wired to a wireless Internet connection can make much of your Computing life much easier.
This can be done thanks to a wireless router. With a wireless router, you can free you and family members from wired downed and allow Internet access from any place in your home. It's easy that anyone can do it.
Wireless routers are excellent when it comes to mobility. Users can setup a wireless router and operate with their laptop, desktop wirelessly. There are various brands in the market and most popular are Linksys, Netgear, Dlink, and Belkin.
Setting up a wireless router is not very complex but although it gets very complicated at few times. Nevertheless, this general procedure will guide you through the process for the setting up of a wireless router.
- To setup a wireless network it's best to if you have a DSL or a cable Internet connection.
- Your first step would be getting a wireless router and some wireless adaptor for the number of computers you want on your wireless network.
When choosing a wireless router to make sure you know the different types of wireless, namely the types of Wi-Fi. There are four types,
The 802.11a: is not used as it has much more limited by range compared to the other types and a transfer rate up to 54Mbit/s.
802.11b and 802.11g: Usually have a similar range. However, 802.11b has a transfer of 11Mbit/s.
802.11g: this one has transfer rates similar to that of 802.11a and is compatible with 802.11b.
802.11n: this is the most recent with double the range of 802.11g and more than twice the transfer rate. Price wise, a is the least expenses, while n is the most. The standard used however is g, and no one uses a.
Before getting any wireless network adapter, check to make sure your PC or laptop does not already have this as a built-in feature. If it does, then you don't have to buy one for the computer.
It's advisable to choose the same vendor for all the additional hardware you buy. If the computer or laptop needs a wireless adapter, then you must install it and the proper software provided with the adapter following the instruction that it came with.
Steps To Setup A Wireless Router.
To set up the router, you should not throw the instructions out as you will need them later. Keep them in case you forget something. It is best if you follow the instruction manual but here is the simple version of it.
- First power down your DSL or cable modem and disconnect it from your computer.
- Connect the modem to your wireless router. From the purchase of the wireless router, you should have a short cable. This is your network cable.
- Connect the network cable to the wireless router in the port labeled as either, WLAN, WAN, or the Internet. It depends on the brand of router you bought.
- Then connect that the Internet connection cable to the modem and reconnect your computer to the wireless router and power the modem back on.
- Your devices with native wireless and those with the wireless adaptors should be able to detect the wireless router. Don't connect any devices through wireless just yet.
- Open your Internet browser on the computer that is connected to the router. There should be a be an address that came with the router and types it in the address bar. A window should that prompts for a password. It should come with the router as will. After entering the password, it should take you to the configuration page for your wireless router.
Give your Network a Name.
At the configuration page, you can give your network a name. Pick something the not easy to guess for security reasons but something you can remember and type this in the SSID section.
There should be a section that asks for a WEP or a WPA choose one, and it should prompt you to enter an administrator password or a router password. It should be remembered but random or uncommon to prevent hackers from getting on to your network. There you should be done.
You can unwire your computer if you wish to switch to wireless. Now you can allow your other computers, laptops and other devices on your network and have wireless Internet all you have to do is type the network name and password or the network connection page on your devices.
Be sure that your router should be running on the latest firmware. If not then download the latest firmware from the router company's website and upgrade it on your router.